Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ethical Lapses Distract U.S. Workers

I was somewhat shocked when I read this particular article. I didn't realize that ethical lapses were that prominent in the workplace. The findings from the study were startling. I was completely unaware that these "ethical lapses" even occurred, much less at a reported once a week by more than one in three respondents. I also didn't realize that there was a drastic effect on individuals because of this. Knowing that people spend a day or more, or even a month or more distracted by these issues is mind boggling. I don't feel that it is a very positive or productive atmosphere at all if ethical lapses are occurring.

The next thing that was very shocking to me was how "One in 10 American workers believes a current issue at their company could create a scandal or business disruption if it was discovered...". Its strange to think that it could lead to such trouble and confusion. It doesn't seem like a business is being run correctly or to it's fullest positive potential if there are ethical issues present, especially those that could be serious enough to cause scandal.

The last part of the article talked about ways to handle ethical lapses. These findings were shocking as well. I can see the point of view from each of the scenarios though. Some think that it is best to handle it themselves, while others believe that involving company management would be better. I also see how employees would get others involved, such as other employees, due to certain circumstances. I guess that everyone would have a different reason for the action that that choose to take based on the given situation.

No comments: