Sunday, February 17, 2008

Writing Cover Letters

I do agree with all of the advice given by this particular website. However, I will admit that I am new to the concept of cover letters, so everything that was pointed out was more than I knew before.

I really like the link titled "The Reality of Cover Letters" because it seemed to lay out the main things that you need to know about cover letters, from the eyes of one who is reading them. The thing that surprised me most in this particular section was the the cover letter should be about the "company, your prospect, your target". I would assume, having no prior knowledge about cover letters, that it should automatically be about the actual person seeking the job.

I also found the section titled "The Best Use Of A Cover Letter" to be very useful. I liked how it somewhat had "steps" for what you should have in the cover letter, again, from a hiring manager's point of view.

All in all, each one of the tutorials were very helpful, especially since this is really my first time being exposed to cover letters. The sample cover letter was nice to have so that I could have something to go by when writing mine, along with the checklist to make sure that my cover letter has everything in it to be "professional and complete". I imagine that I will use many, if not all, of these concepts when writing my own cover letter for my mock interview in this class.

No comments: